I have a confession to make….until very recently I’d never had a BLT sandwich. Weird, right!? I know, I know, it doesn’t make any sense. I like bacon. I like tomatoes. I like lettuce. And I love me some mayo, but BLT’s weren’t something I grew up with so it wasn’t really on my radar. My mom made me bologna sandwiches and peanut butter with mayo (hey, don’t knock it until you try it!), but never a BLT.
A few months ago I made a BLT with Sriacha-Mayo for a recipe testing project at work and it pretty much blew my mind. BLT’s are definitely on the radar now and I decided to put a little spin on it and make it into a pasta salad for a party I went to recently.
This crowd-pleasing salad is a fun twist on the classic sandwich. It’s the perfect dish to take with you if you’re a guest at a party, like I did, because you can make it in advance. I recommend waiting to add the avocados and salad dressing at the last minute though to prevent the avocados from turning brown and the lettuce from wilting.
- ½ lb. bowtie pasta
- ½ lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; cook pasta until tender but still a little firm (about 8 minutes). Drain pasta and rinse in cold water to prevent it from sticking together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta and the next 5 ingredients. Top with the crumbled blue cheese and cover; chill at least 1 hour. Before serving, toss with additional dressing if the salad seems dry.