Stuffed French Toast with Mascarpone and Fig Jam

stuffed-french-toast-thekrave

My general food philosophy is to eat healthy 75% of the time, indulge the other 25%, always keep an eye on portions (except when it comes to ice cream but that’s a post for another day) and get lots of exercise.

I made this French Toast last weekend and it clearly falls into the indulgence category, but it’s so worth every calorie! It’s easily adaptable to whatever you have on hand. Can’t find challah? Use brioche instead. No mascarpone? Use cream cheese.

Experiment with any kind of fruit jam you like and make it your own. This recipe was adapted from Weber’s Time to Grill cookbook.

 

Stuffed French Toast w/ Mascarpone and Fig Jam
 
Author:
Ingredients
  • 12 slices challah, each about ¾ inch thick
  • 6 ounces mascarpone, softened
  • 6 heaping tablespoons fig jam
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • Finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 4 tablespoons butter
Instructions
  1. Arrange six slices of the challah in a baking pan large enough to fit them all comfortably in one layer. Spread each slice with 1 ounce of mascarpone, leaving a one-half-inch border at the edges. Spread each of the other six slices with a heaping tablespoon of jam, and then invert them onto the halves with the mascarpone, making sandwiches.
  2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, orange zest, and salt. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches, and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes, turning the sandwiches once.
  3. Melt the butter in a large skillet or on a large griddle over medium heat.
  4. Tip one sandwich on its side so that any extra liquid runs off. Fry each sandwich until they're golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Do this in batches if necessary.
  5. Remove the sandwiches to a large plate and cover loosely with foil to keep them warm until all of the sandwiches are finished cooking.

 

FrenchToast

(Visited 488 times, 1 visits today)

Did you try this?

Let us know how you liked it! Comment below, or share a pic on social media and be sure to include the hashtag #KravingThis!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Rate this recipe:  



Pin It on Pinterest

Enjoying this recipe?

Share the yum!