Yesterday my daughter had her last day of kindergarten (sniff!) and today she left for a week at Disney World with her dad (double sniff!) which leaves me home alone for the next week. Any single parent knows this is bittersweet. Part of me is looking forward to a week to myself and the other part misses her terribly.
So tonight when I got home from a very, very long day at work the last thing I wanted to do was cook dinner when there was no one to share it with. Yet the idea of cereal or a microwaved meal was just depressing so I found a few ingredients I almost always have on hand and whipped up a little somethin’ for myself.
It was fast, dirtied very few dishes, tasty, healthy and the perfect serving for one. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a hot date with my couch and Netflix.
- Whole-grain bread, sliced thick
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 tomato, sliced
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 1 slice cheese, I used Jack but you can use whatever you like
- Coarse sea salt and black pepper
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- When pan is hot crack egg into pan and let it set. Reduce heat to medium and let cook until the white is set and the edges start to curl up. At this point the yolk will still be runny so if you like yours a little more cooked, flip the egg in the pan and let cook on the other side for another minute or two.
- Toast the bread and while the bread is still warm add the cheese, tomato and avocado slices.
- Top with the egg, coarse sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.