Hi friends! How was your 4th of July weekend? After a cold and rainy June we were blessed with absolutely perfect weather all weekend. Hooray! We spent the entire weekend outside enjoying everything our town had to offer – festivals, live music, carnivals, pool parties, neighborhood barbecues, a parade and, of course, fireworks. We were actually so close to the fireworks that big pieces of cardboard were raining down on us and we were covered in ash! The kids thought it was awesome. I have to admit I was pretty sad Sunday night when all the festivities came to an end.
We went to a friend’s house for a BBQ on Friday and it was such a treat to leave most of the cooking to someone else for once. I love to cook, obviously, but between my full-time job running the test kitchen at Weber and running this blog, I always appreciate it when someone else cooks for me!
I couldn’t bear to show up empty handed so I made these Grilled Chicken Wraps with Apples and Brie and they were a huge hit with both the kids and adults! With savory grilled chicken, sweet fig jam, crunchy apples and creamy brie cheese, these wraps are delicious and healthy, too. They’re a great swap when you’re tired of the same old, boring turkey sandwich and they pack easily which makes them great for picnics, potlucks or school lunches – but I’m not ready to think about school lunches just yet! If you want to save a little time, you can substitute deli turkey for the grilled chicken.
If you’ve been following this blog you may have noticed I use fig jam in several of my recipes. Apparently I really like fig jam! So if you buy a jar for this recipe you can also use it on this incredible Fig, Blue Cheese and Proscuitto Flatbread, or in this Stuffed French Toast with Mascarpone and Fig Jam. I hate buying an ingredient for a recipe and ending up with a half jar of it left and no idea what to do with it. So there ya’ go…no half empty jars of fig jam!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package tortillas or sandwich wraps (I like the Flatout Whole Wheat Wraps)
- 1 jar fig jam
- 16 slices Brie cheese
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and sliced
- Preheat grill over medium-high heat (350-450 degrees) for 10-15 minutes.
- While the grill heats, lightly brush each chicken breast with olive oil. Combine salt, pepper, and dried herbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over both sides of the chicken.
- Using a wire brush, clean the grates of the grill. Place chicken on the grill and cook over direct heat for 8-12 minutes, turning once until done (when chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees). Remove chicken from the grill, tent lightly with foil and let rest 10 minutes. Once the chicken has rested, cut the meat into ½" thick slices.
- Spread each wrap with a thin layer of the fig jam leaving about an ⅛" border. Place a few slices of chicken, Brie, and apple on one side of the wrap and roll. Cut each wrap in half and enjoy!